Thursday, May 22, 2008

Indiana Jones & The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

First off, I promise I am not giving ANYTHING away. I am discussing no plot points whatsoever...so it's ok if you read on. :)

Last night, I saw Indy 4 and it actually wasn't that bad. If you think about the other movies and how absurd they are (I mean, c'mon, the Ark killing everyone? The dude taking the heart out of the other guy? The Holy Grail?), it's not that bad. Sure, you think, "Wait, wtf?" but then you realize, at least it sort of has to do with archaeology and it's better than Temple of Doom. Shia LaBeouf is not nearly as annoying as Shorty, though he does have some points where you just want to slap him.

There are definitely way more kitschier moments than in Last Crusade, but the absurd is pretty comparable to Raiders. Some of the jokes were necessary in some way because Harrison Ford is (much) older. The special effects could've used some work, but I don't think they were going for reality...I think they sort of wanted to keep with the cheesiness of the original movies and how the effects weren't 100% convincing. The "phobia scene" was pretty good, though. I definitely thought, "Ew, gross" like in the other movies.

Also I think the audience that I saw it with was not as into it as my family and I are. They definitely missed a ton of jokes and references to old movies. They also 100% missed the homage to Star Wars when Harrison Ford says, "I've got a bad feeling about this!" I laughed a lot at that, but no one else seemed to. Silly Germans. It could be due to the fact that perhaps they hadn't seen the movies in English and thus missed a ton.

All in all, I would say that I was entertained and got my 5€ worth. I hope that a fifth movie will not be made because honestly, an Indiana Jones movie is not an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford. He can't possibly make a fifth movie and being relegated to the role of sidekick next to Shia LaBeouf would just be an outrage. This movie doesn't let down like the last three Star Wars that came out and definitely does not suck as much as Jurassic Park 3 did. Though one thing definitely did suck: The Communists are not nearly as bad ass as the Nazis. It doesn't ring..."Communists...""Reds..." blah blah. Nope. It's always going to be "Nazis...I hate these guys!" As much as I love Germans, they're very good at being bad...at least in Indiana Jones movies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the movie even though your sisters thought it was bad. Kate B did a good job of being the bad guy. Her German accent is pretty good. Cynthia and I enjoyed it and I told you that one family even made a cake in the shape of the scence in the first movie. The cake tasted very good. The audiences were way into it; I was suprise that a lot of people that were there were quite young I am sure that were not born when the first two were made. Harrison still look pretty good!