Saturday, August 18, 2007

I'm Not Dead Yet...


Well, I have internet because I'm at Christian's parents' apartment, so I figure I should update my blog. If you have been to Germany before, you will know what typical German weather is like: cloudy, rainy, unpredictable. I can't say that it has been any different, although, the weather has been good recently. Some friends (David, John, Becky, Maggie, Ben) and I went grilling in a park the other day. Of course, we grilled some wurst, I brought some corn and made pork burgers, and there was Kartoffelsalat (potato salad, very German). And the key point to grilling wurst in a park in Germany? Drinking beer with it, obviously. That's one thing I definitely had missed when I was at home: being able to drink in public, whether in a park or a walking beer. Then we all somehow became really amused jumping off rocks and taking pictures doing it...ahhh, Köln!

Another thing that I missed while at home was watching Fußball (uh, soccer). Today I went with Christian to a bar in Düsseldorf and met his friend Sven there. Today's Spieltag was pretty sweet: Werder Bremen (my favorite team) vs. FC Bayern München, Schalke vs. Dortmund, Hertha BSC vs. Stuttgart, Wolfsburg vs. Duisburg, and some others. Man, the Bremen/München game was ridiculous at a 0-4 loss for Bremen. I still don't like the fact that Miroslav Klose is playing for München now. He should still be in Bremen...But anyway.

On the same note, 8 friends and I will be going to a Germany vs. Romania game in Köln on September 12. Who's psyched?? I've also got tickets to go see Die Fantastischen Vier (they're like the German Beastie Boys) and then Die Ärzte (German punk band from Berlin) in November. And next month is Wir Sind Helden in Berlin, woohoo! (Alex, I'll be sure to take pictures and send them to you)


Lastly, does anyone know someone who lives in Köln that needs a roommate starting October 1? I get to look for my own apartment, but I have to live with Germans and my program needs to approve of it. I don't have any desire to do it really, but I know in the end, it'll work out. This year is probably going to fly by, especially considering that I've been here for 3 weeks. (Yeah, I'm not writing very clearly...I'll admit it...German television is distracting...)

Oh yeah, and check out my pictures here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome pics. Jumping off of rocks looks like a lot of fun. I'm sure the beer helps. (-;