Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Berlin photos

Due to the joys of wireless, I am able to post some pictures that I've taken over the past few days. (Basically, I turned on my computer to listen to the new Franz Ferdinand CD, and lo and behold, my computer picked up a wireless signal.) So here on the left is a picture from when Alex and I stopped by Checkpoint Charlie, which was where you could cross into the American sector of Berlin into the Russian sector. I have more pictures by it, but I thought this one is just one of those things that you always see in history books. It was pretty surreal seeing it in real life, but at the same time, it was a total tourist trap and there were a ton of people just everywhere buying postcards, replica hats, etc. There is also a very different feel between the two sides. You could definitely see the buildings on the eastern side were newer because the old ones were knocked down. Even today you could feel the difference although it is now one city.


Here on the left you can see a picture that I took of part of the East Side Gallery, which is a lot of street art on part of the Berlin Wall that was left. I think I took 50-some odd pictures over at the East Side Gallery, but you can check them out on my Flickr Account. I didn't load all of them yet, and I also am lazy, so I didn't rotate some of the pictures that should be rotated. You get the general idea, though.

Then below is a picture of a bridge that Alex and I walked across to get to the East Side Gallery from the western side of the river. (Not sure which river it was...sorry.) It's a bridge you cross from Kreuzberg to Friedrichshain, which are two neighborhoods that are the equivalent of the Lower East Side and the Village. The detail that some of the buildings and infrastructure here have is truly amazing and it is very unique. It makes me wonder why we couldn't have stuff like that at home, but I suppose that's what characterizes Germany and the U.S. as the U.S. I have more pictures from the bridge, too, and I think they are also on my Flickr account. The last picture is also of Checkpoint Charlie. I apologize that there really isn't any sort of order to the pictures that I am posting on my blog, but oh well, you will just have to deal.


Oh...and if you're actually reading my blog...post a comment...I feel as if nobody reads it. I'll admit my thoughts are a scatterbrained, especially in comparison to Alex's (God, she takes forever to write her entries)...but...just post so that I know whether or not I should even continue to update this thing! Even if you just say something ridiculous...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Something ridiculous."

Keep the pics coming. I'm soooo living vicariously through you right now. hahaha Europe is definitely top of my list of future destinations.
(some day)

I need to email you some vacation pics we recently took when we went to Chicago and Indianapolis. I'll get right on that...

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Sannie, I'm keeeping track of you too. Nice pics! Also living vicariously through you. I'm glad you've come to have an appreciation of bannerweb, I knew you'd see the light. too bad it took you a taste of german bureaucracy to get it! Hope all is well, say hi to my favorite Germans for me. You decide who they are. Oh yeah, and I'm jealous about the Franz concert. Luckyyyy!
have fun!
-Kate

Anonymous said...

if you don't post, i'll have to write something myself.

Dug said...

Hey Sannie,

It's nice to read about your experiences in Germany. I miss it, although having lived in a 2000-person town in Rheinland-Pfalz it was a bit different from Berlin. I still kinda regret not doing any German at Midd, and it's cool to hear about your experiences there. I'm not much for commentary, but I'm reading fairly regularly...

-D

A said...

The bridge crossed the Spree River. Yeah. Just sayin.

Anonymous said...

What is really important as a ravaneous glutton american is are there McDonalds and Burger King there? I can't live without a greasy burger any longer than 2 days. My hard arteries start to clean up and I have the ability to breathe again... that's no good.

Lol... a very sarcastic example of the culture war that you'll be experiencing this coming year. You'll be challenged and spurred on by different thoughts.... try reading some Immanuel Kant in original German it will be fun I promise!

Enjoy your stay there... and I hope that it lives up to all of your expectations. Keep the pictures coming they really brighten up the experience of a blog.

Anonymous said...

i really don't know how i came to read your blog, but i think that it has got something to do with browsing through nerf herder related sites... :)
keep writing, i really am interested about what your stay here in germany (jawohl, ich bin deutscher :) ) will be like and what you think about it. (another prejudice that seems to be true: germans really care a lot about what foreigners think about them...)
so rock hard and prosper, and always remember "time flies like an arrow. fruit flies like a banana!" ;)